Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Assignment #3

After reviewing the assigned materials, I learned that you always need to be positive when writing a peer review! Tim Bedley's class did a great job of demonstrating what NOT to do while you're peer editing. No one wants a Mean Margret telling them that their paper is dumb or that they are stupid because they spelled something wrong. Peer editing is suppose to help you understand how you could better your paper, not make you feel stupid! Also, no one wants a Pushy Paula telling them how to write their paper or what their paper should be about. Everyone has different opinions. That's the point of everyone writing their own paper. I feel like this video would be perfect to show to elementary age kids while learning how to peer edit!




The What is Peer Editing video and the Peer Edit with Perfection slideshow go hand in hand. They both talk about the 3 steps of peer editing: complement, suggestion, correction. You should always let the author know that you enjoyed some part of their work, whether it be an idea or even a word they used. Always leave a complement! Next you should make a suggestion that you this would enhance their paper. Suggest different word choice or more details. Once you've complimented their work and made suggestions, you may make corrections. Don't go overboard and be too picky. Correct spelling and grammar mistakes but don't be pick every little thing apart. Also don't be mean and make the author feel stupid. Everyone makes mistakes.


When I peer edit, I prefer to email that person directly for major mistakes. I don't want the person who's work I am reviewing to think I am trying to call them out publicly to embarrass them or make them feel dumb. If it is something small like a run-on sentence or a misspelled word, I may point it out in a comment but only if I personally know the person and know that they won't take it personally.

 


2 comments:

  1. Great Job on your blog post this week. It was an interesting and thoughtful blog post.

    Be sure to include working links in every blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savanah, you made a lot of great points through out your post. "When I peer edit, I prefer to email that person directly for major mistakes. "I agree with this sometimes it can be embarrassing for others to accept there mistakes with major mistakes emailing them will help them to be aware with our being embarrassed. Great post through out I loved the pictures. Just make sure your links are working .

    ReplyDelete